Notes |
BIOGRAPHYDr Daniel Watkins F.R.C.S.,L.S.A was one of the pioneers under the Canterbury Association scheme who settled in New Zealand. Besides being the Surgeon- Superintendent on the S.S.Cressy which arrived in Lyttelton on December 27,1950, he was the Shipowner's Representative for the voyage. For his responsible position on the journey to New Zealand he was given a certain 'Order of Choice' in his allotment of lands. He had a town section in Christchurch plus he could buy 50 acres of rural land for 3 pounds per acre. He was the sixth person to purchase land from the Canterbury Association. He chose Rural Section 61 which is a rectangular strip of land in Akaroa which runs up the hill from Beach Road alongside Church Street. It includes all the shops and houses on Beach Road between Rue Jolie and Church Street, and all the properties on the North and South sides of Rue Jolie from Beach Road to Church Street. Watkins chose to lease the properties; rarely did he sell them.
Daniel Watkins was born in East on Westwell, Kent, England on 21 November 1791, the son of Daniel Watkins and his first wife Martha Collins. His family lived in Kent until about 1799 when his father inherited Overcourt, Bisley, Gloucestershire.
Little is known about the early life of Daniel Watkins. The Society of Apothecaries record states that when he passed their examination he had served a five year apprenticeship with William Wood and Robert Hayward Lucas of Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, plus he had also had six months attendance at St. Bartholomews Hospital, London. He commenced his apprenticeship on 3rd February 1812 at the age of twenty. In 1817, after having "attended the general practice of the General Dispensary in London" he became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, London.
The following year (5 Feb 1818) he was appointed a Corresponding Vaccinator by the Board of the National Vaccine Establishment, London (namely the President and Censors of the Royal College of Physicians and the Master and Governors of the Royal College of Surgeons). By this time he was in practice in Sidmouth, Devonshire, where he remained for a few years.
He returned to London to practice, in a partnership, and resided at No. 26 Manchester Street, St. Marylebone. In 1827 he married Julia Maria Sloane at St. Marylebone Parish Church. They seemed to have remained in London until 1838. It was during this period that their first five children were born - Henry Green (1829), Stephen (1830), Julia Laura (1831), Charles Douner (born and died 1833), and William Montague Nevin (1835).
In 1838 Dr. Watkins left England for Australia. It seems certain that his family also went with him, for in 1840 he and his wife signed in Sydney, N.S.W., a Deed of Release to receive monies due to Mrs. Watkins. He also resided in Port Lincoln, where his half sister Mary and her husband John Bishop resided, and in Hobart, Tasmania. Whilst in Australia he continued to pay "Empty Rate" for a pew in St. Marylebone Parish Church.
He and his family returned to London in 1842. He took up residence in 6 John Street, Portland Town, Middlesex and was living there in 1845 when he inherited the family manor of Overcourt, Bisley, Gloucestershire. During this period 1842 - 1845 he was in practice as a surgeon and when performing an operation he lost the sight of his right eye. The family was still living in London in 1846, for after the birth of Theresa Josephine (1843) their last child Alfred Frank was born in 1846. Daniel Watkins inherited the family manor, Overcourt in Bisley Gloucestershire, but he does not seem to have lived there after his father's death. He appears to have sold Overcourt for in 1850 he was in practice in the village of Clist Honiton, Devonshire. It is probable that the very depressed conditions in the West of England at that time influenced him to join the new 'Canterbury Pilgrims', The name given to purchasers of land under Wakefield's scheme for the Settlement of Canterbury, New Zealand. Four ships carried the 'Canterbury Pilgrims' to New Zealand - their new home.
Daniel Watkins, with his wife, two of their four sons and their two daughters, joined the sailing ship "Cressy". He was the ship's Surgeon Superintendent. That is in addition to being the surgeon he was the Shipowner's Representative. A most responsible position for which at that time it was usual to pay a gratuity of 10/- per soul landed alive at the end of the voyage. His two eldest sons, Henry Green and Stephen, joined the family in New Zealand respectively 7 and 10 years later. The "Cressy" was the last of the four ships to arrive in Lyttelton Harbour. She dropped anchor on the 27th December 1850.
Daniel Watkins obtained a 50 acre plot of land (Section No. 61) at French Creek, Akaroa Harbour, some 52 miles from Christchurch on the Banks Peninsular. He became the doctor of the district as well as the chemist. In 1854 Dr. Watkins was appointed Deputy Registrar for the Akaroa District for the registering of births, marriages and deaths. In 1852 Dr. Watkins and others started to sell off, or lease, some quarter acre building sites. The Governor, Sir George Grey, had made the local magazine available for Church services. Dr. Watkins had given section 54 (in present day Church Street, Akaroa) as the site for a Church and the new Church, St. Peter's, was opened on 10th October 1852. In addition to giving the site and pecuniary contributions he also presented all the eight windows, and his son Henry Green helped to provide the seating. In 1873 he presented the town with a site in Jolie Street for a Literary Institute. Early survey maps indicate Section No. 61 and also the position of Dr. Watkins home and those of his family. His original home was destroyed but in 1951 its position was located by following the avenue of walnuts he planted. These were the first walnuts planted in New Zealand and even today Akaroa is noted for its walnuts. Stephen his son, and others imported 75 olive trees from Australia. Some were planted at Robinson's Bay and in 1969 were still flourishing.
It was sad that Mrs. Watkins died within twelve months of their arrival at Akaroa. She is buried in what is now known as the French Cemetery. Her burial service being the first service recorded by the new Vicar, the Rev. W.J. Alymer. Thirty years later he was still Vicar and every Sunday took Dr. Watkins to Church in his gig. It is recorded that Dr. Watkins was of a genial and jolly disposition, fond of fishing, a great walker and fond of bright young company.
After a long and useful life Dr. Watkins died in Akaroa on 21 November 1882, on his 90th birthday. His grave in Akaroa Cemetery was relocated and in 2003 a large boulder from Akaroa harbour with a bronze plaque and inscription was positioned on the correct site.
Sources: Akaroa Historic Area Database, (Akaroa Civic Trust) and Watkin Family History.
|